Thursday 11 October 2012

Challenge Annabel: McDonald's Chicken Maharaja Mac

It might seem strange in a land with a rich patchwork of gastronomic delights, that I would hot foot it down to McDonald's in my first month of living in India. Well I did. But there is a little tale behind this sacrilegious escapade.
 
Soon after I found out I was moving to Mumbai, I was lolling on the sofa in Camberwell-of-dreams with one of my closest friends, Rachel, and we got to talking about things I might miss. Food, as always, was the first topic on the agenda.
 
After a Friday evening in the pub, I may have been known to swing by the golden arches for a cheeseburger on my way home. How would I cope without my post-pub snack?
 
Well we discovered via the McDonald's India website that the only conceivable option was the rather questionable looking Chicken Maharaja Mac - described by Business Week as on of the world's most original burgers.
 
Original...not necessarily a moniker that you want to describe food.
 
Now Rachel's boyfriend, who is possibly one of the few people that likes food more than me, really took this to heart and asked for a critical review. So Russell, this is for you.
 
 
The Chicken Maharaja Mac has two grilled chicken patties smothered in what looks like curry sauce (I later discovered this was actually 'smoke-flavoured' mayonnaise) with fresh onions, tomatoes, processed cheese in a toasted sesame seeded bun.
 
It looked so unappetising that I must admit I nearly bottled it. However, a challenge is a Mc-challenge...
 
THE VERDICT: Whilst it's no Quarter Pounder with cheese, the Chicken Maharaja Mac is surprisingly delicious. It feels a little less artery blocking than a normal Big Mac, but I'm under no illusion that it's nutritional value is probably limited. I think the Maharaja and I could be post-pub friends, but luckily there's not a Maccy D's on every corner in Mumbai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment